Filled Under: ,

4 Things that you must know before you work as an OFW

working abroad











A recruitment agency from Manila phoned me last night. I was asked if I am interested to work in an International School in Riyadh,Saudi Arabia. 

So I asked the lady caller how did she get my information. She told me that she have seen my resume in workabroad.ph

I was told everything about the job offered in KSA, and I was asked to visit their office in Ermita, Manila today at 3 pm because the employer wants to see me personally. 

Unfortunately, I declined the offer due to my work commitment. I also made a promise to my wife that I will be on her side when she gives birth to our baby this coming March.Smile

While I was lying in my bed last night, I kept on thinking about our conversation on the phone. What if the job is not real? What if the recruiting agency is not a licensed agency? 

So this morning, when I arrived in my workplace, the first thing I did is to check the agency’s profile in Workabroad and POEA.

I found out that they have a valid license and they are authorize by POEA to operate as a recruiting agency.

This is a good sign that the agency is real and recognize by our government. 

However, it does not mean that you will just ‘dive in’ and grab the opportunity abroad. 

This is what always happen to most Filipinos who wants to work abroad. Once they accepted the job, and started working in a foreign company, then problems will come out. 

Before you finally accept the job offered abroad by a recruitment agency, you must consider the following things:

1. Contract. What is a contract?
“A contract is a binding agreement between two or more persons that is enforceable by law.” –Word Web Dictionary
You will read on your contract about your salary, job description, allowances, company’s policies, etc. Before you sign a contract, you must understand everything. If something is not clear, then ask question. Also, keep a copy of your contract for yourself.

2. Salary. Most agencies have a set of salary for a certain job. However, it is not yet final. You can still negotiate with the recruiting agency, if you feel that it is not enough. 

You must also remember that your salary will be based on your qualification, skills, degree earned, work experiences, etc. 

If you think you did not meet the company’s salary scale, then do not expect a lot. 

If you are uncertain about your salary, you can contact POEA in this number. 

How about overtime jobs? A good company will pay a worker who will still work after regular working hours. But you must follow the company’s policy about overtime job.

3. Benefits. An OFW is entitled to receive benefits while working abroad. 

Does the company offers housing allowance? How about bonuses, health and accident insurance?

Your recruiting agency must also process your POEA / OWWA membership.

Your membership will cover your SSS, Philhealth.

Being a member will also help you once you encounter a problem abroad. It is also beneficial to your dependents.

4. Working Condition. Before you leave our country, you must know what will be your working condition.

This is very important so you will not be surprised once you arrived in the country of your destination. 

Some agencies provide seminars about the country’s culture, do’s and don'ts, basic information, etc. If there will be no seminar, then you can do it by yourself. You can search the internet or read books. This will give you idea of the country you will be working. 

To work abroad is not easy as what you think. So before you work in other country,always remember that you have the right to know everything about your job.